Accreditation of Prior Achievement
Accreditation of Prior Achievement (APA) is for those who have an existing qualification which is not recognised by the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPS). This could include anyone who -
- has completed a qualification in another country and wishes to join REPS
- has completed a number of different courses or qualifications which are not recognised by REPS
- has completed a university degree and feel they have achieved all the learning outcomes required by recognised fitness qualifications in the UK.
Please note: APA is not a short cut to getting a recognised qualification. You are required to gather a large amount of evidence to show you have achieved all the required learning outcomes. It is not a matter of simply submitting a certificate. Evidence may include -
- academic transcripts showing full list of learning outcomes completed
- course breakdowns showing full list of learning outcomes achieved
- statements and testimonials from training providers, employers, clients detailing activities you have performed
- video evidence of activities you have performed
- any other form of evidence which demonstrates you have achieved any of the required learning outcomes
The process for applying for APA is as follows -
Step 1 - Contact a Fitness Industry Education (FIE) tutor to organise a mutually beneficial time in which to do an oral exam over the phone. This is a pre-test to determine your eligibility to apply for APA. The oral exam consists of 20 multiple choice questions based on the learning outcomes for the qualification you wish to gain APA. There is no fee for this oral exam
Step 2 - Pay the relevant fee for the qualification you wish to gain APA.
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym) £150 - Click here to enrol.
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Exercise to Music) £150 - Click here to enrol.
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training £300 - Click here to enrol.
Step 3 - Download the relevant cross-referencing checklist
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym) Cross-reference Checklist
Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Exercise to Music) Cross-reference Checklist
Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training Cross-reference Checklist
Step 4 - Gather evidence to show you have achieved all learning outcomes as listed in the cross-referencing checklist.
Step 5 - Submit your portfolio of evidence for verification by an Assessor
Step 6 - The Assessor will verify your evidence. Should they agree that you have achieved all the required learning outcomes you will be issued with a certificate. If you have not included sufficient evidence, you will be asked to either re-submit your portfolio (£100 re-submission fee applies) or you application for APA will be declined and you will be required to enrol on the full course. In some situations, you may take certain assessments to fill evidence gaps. Please contact Tutor Support for more information.